KYOTO Logo
Knowledge Yielding Ontologies
for Transition-based Organization
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
KYOTO Project Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Taxonomy of species, wordnets and ontology (1 viewing) (1) Guests
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Taxonomy of species, wordnets and ontology
Roxane Segers (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Taxonomy of species, wordnets and ontology 2 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0&nbsp&nbsp
For the Kyoto-1 topic ‘species’, we’re currently checking some taxonomies of species in data_base_s like Agrovoc, Gemet and DBpedia to see if these can be used to extract a taxonomy that can be _link_ed to the Kyoto ontology. At this point DBpedia seems to be suited best, since it is well-structured, multilingual and is likely to contain only rigid types.

Another issue we would like to discuss, is that we might need to adapt the Dutch Wordnet, and probably also the Wordnets for the other languages to make a domain extension possible. In the case of species, the Dutch Wordnet differs quite a lot from the biological taxonomy: a carp will have a hyperonym like freshwater fish or even just fish were the taxonomy tells us that it belongs to the genus Cyprinus and this genus is a member of the family Cyprinidae.

In relation to these issues I have some discussion points and questions for both engineers and environmentalists:

1. First of all: what should be included in a taxonomy of species. Is it enough to cover plants, animals and fungi, or do you also need one cell life forms like bacteria etc?
2. The taxonomy in DPpedia also includes extinct species. Not only relatively recent ones like the dodo, but whole classes of species that got extinct millions of years ago. The nice thing of DBpedia is that it has a label ‘extinct’ and a year of extinction, so it should be possible to in- or exclude extinct species in relation to a time period that is still relevant for you. But are the extinct species of any relevance?
3. Are there any other taxonomies of species we don’t know about that can be useful?

4. What are the options for extracting a taxonomy from a technical point of view: if we use DBpedia, we probably do not need all kinds of language patterns for extraction. On the other hand: if you do use language patterns on Wikipedia, you’ll probably find more (role like) additional information, like that a carp is a freshwater fish. You won’t find such things in the taxonomy in DBpedia. It could be a kind of information that users want to have, but it can make the extraction quite complicated, I think.
5. How should the taxonomy look like and how can it be integrated into the wikyoto (accessibility)?
I had in mind that we will have a language independent taxonomy of species in Latin that is _link_ed to the ontology, and then have the same taxonomy in the different Wordnets where the Latin term can be found in a synset with the translation in Dutch or English etcetera.

6. What is the state of the Kyoto ontology: does it already facilitate a _link_age with a taxonomy, and how do you suggest that this should be done? As I pointed out above, the taxonomy seems to be member- _base_d instead of subclass-_base_d. Does this cause any problems?

7. How do we adapt the Wordnets to make the domain extension possible? I first had in mind that we could create some kind of basic level species out of the taxonomy and make sure that these were covered properly in the Wordnets. This could then function as a starting point for the extension. However, this might not be sufficient since there are a lot of problems in the higher levels. This could of course all be revised by hand, but that’s very time consuming.
Another option is not to revise the wordnet at all but to plug in the taxonomy at a high level like ‘organism’. Then we could think of how the generic wordnet could benefit from the domain wordnet for species.

All ideas are very welcome!

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
KarinDeBoom (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Taxonomy of species, wordnets and ontology 2 Years ago Karma: 0&nbsp&nbsp
Hello Roxanne,

I think your suggestion to use the DBpedia is the best option.
So the real biologists like Lawrence should take a good look at it.
I send them an email with the message to talk here in the forum (I hope they will)
Does DBpedia contain also the latin names?
Can you please put a direct _link_ to this taxonomie on the forum?
So I can look at it asvwell?

Thank you!

Karin

Roxane Segers (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Taxonomy of species, wordnets and ontology 2 Years ago Karma: 0&nbsp&nbsp
Hi Karin,

Yes, DBpedia has the Latin names for species.

To access Dbpedia, you can put these _link_s into your browser:

http://dbpedia.org/page/Dog
http://dbpedia.org/page/Fern
http://dbpedia.org/page/Frog
http://dbpedia.org/page/...

Please note that you have to use a capital for your queryterm and an underscore in a multiword term: Tree_frog.

Best wishes,
Roxane

pathfinderanil (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Taxonomy of species, wordnets and ontology 9 Months, 1 Week ago Karma: 0&nbsp&nbsp
Tools submission page is broken
It's possible to mess up the sub nav bar sometimes by playing with it so it disappears entirely.

All the hosted tools have broken layouts.

In skin view, clicking on the small version thumbnail replaces with the larger version and opens lightbox with larger at same time. The larger version thumbnail breaks the content box.

Go to top Post Reply